Build World Class Robots (Ages 14 to 18)
FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC)
The highest level of robotics competition offered by FIRST. High-school students team up with the world’s best technology companies to build the most impressive robots you’ve ever seen. Built from scratch in only 6 weeks, these 5 foot tall, 140 pound robots compete in high intensity robo-sports. With bragging rights at stake for schools and the companies that support them, robotics takes on a pro-sports experience. Watch the best of the best in robotics come out to play.
“The varsity sport for the mind,” FRC combines the excitement of sport with the rigors of science and technology. Under strict rules, limited resources, and time limits, teams of 25 students or more are challenged to raise funds, design a team “brand,” hone teamwork skills, and build and program robots to perform prescribed tasks against a field of competitors. It’s as close to “real-world engineering” as a student can get. Volunteer professional mentors lend their time and talents to guide each team.
Students get to:
- Learn from professional engineers
- Build and compete with a robot of their own design
- Learn and use sophisticated software and hardware
- Compete and cooperate in alliances and tournaments
- Earn a place in the World Championship
- Qualify for over $12 million in college scholarships